About Determination Letters

Code Enforcement Officer’s Determination Letters

When an application comes in to the Planning & Community Development Office for action by either the Planning Board or the Zoning Board of Adjustment, I issue a determination Letter. As Code Enforcement Officer, it is my responsibility to create a determination letter which outlines how an applicant’s proposed use fits the requirements of our zoning ordinance, Subdivision Regulations and Site Plan Regulations. The Applicant then appears before either the Planning Board or Zoning Board of Adjustment to make his or hers application or appeal.
Usually, the letter becomes part of the application and it stays part of the Applicants application or appeal. Occasionally, the Applicant, or another person disagrees with my decision.  As an administrative official, my decisions are appealable following the process outlined below.
Should any party be aggrieved by a decision of the Code Enforcement Officer, the aggrieved party may file an appeal with the Zoning Board of Adjustment if it is alleged that there is an error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official in the enforcement of any zoning ordinance adopted pursuant to New Hampshire RSA 674:33 – Powers of the Zoning Board of Adjustment.
This appeal must be filed within 30 days of the date of the decision that is complained of.
I have started posting the Code Enforcement Determination Letters effective January 1, 2018. If you have any questions about the letters, please contact me using any of the means below.
Alan H. Hardy
Code Enforcement Officer
Town of Boscawen, New Hampshire
Telephone: 603 753-9188 x 320
Fax: 603 753-9184